I recently came across a post
for some delicious breakfast scones~
My friend, Jacqueline, over at
Deep Roots at Home
did a tutorial on how to make these.
Yum---my, Pumpkin Scones.
The only difference for us,
was using gluten free flours instead of wheat flour.
Usually any combination of 3 different gluten free
flours and some xanthan or guar gum
will translate for most recipes.
I used brown rice, sorghum, potato starch
and then added about 1/4-1/3 cup of coconut flour.
Then,
I added about 1 1/2 tsp. of xanthan gum
and
a pinch of guar gum.
The scones turned out wonderfully and were
tasty~
Another thing our family likes
to do is make 'baking mixes' ahead.
It's more of a frugal practice we started
to especially save time
in the morning.
Not to mention it's MUCH cheaper
than store bought
gluten-free mixes!
We pull out all our flours
and baking supplies
Then,
Olivia & I decide what recipe we're
using, such as the pumpkin scones or muffins...
Then,
we mix all the dry ingredients only
in the bag, label, and freeze it.
These come in handy on any morning, really.
Whoever is doing breakfast just grabs a bag
and adds the 'wet' ingredients,
and,
voila!
2 comments:
jennifer, I am learning so much from you. We really need to be doing gluten-free, but have been too lazy to go there yet! Slowly, I am able to gather more knowledge so SOMEDAY soon, we can make the switch. I never knew you could do any combination of the 3 flours!! Can you also use almond flour or does that mess something up? What about millet?
LOVE how you make packets up all at once instead of one at a time...this saves so much time. Olivia is getting a rich education in practical skills!!
Jacqueline~I've found that 3 different gluten-free flours usually work well to replace a wheat flour measurement. Of course, along with xanthan or guar gum. If you only use one GF flour, the result is usually crumbly and wastes the ingredients...plus it doesn't taste very good.
It is something you have to try and see what works, though. I've had plenty of 'flops' but over time have come up with tried and true recipes that work out well for things we bake regularly.
For many recipes you can just substitute the GF flours...instead of having a specific GF recipe.
We use all sorts of different GF flours (I'm not as familiar with almond flour, but think it would be good in power bars and added in small amounts).
Most of the time brown rice flour is a base and then I'll add sorghum, millet, coconut, teff, and either some potato or tapioca starch-the starches do help it 'stick' together some.
Anyway, just plunge right in!
Post a Comment