...about canning.
I know it seems that everybody is talking
about canning right now.
And, that's because they are!
It is, after all, the 'season'~
For me,
there's just something about
'putting up'
food for the winter.
I don't know if it's the fact that I like anything homemade,
or that it's healthier than eating out of an aluminum can,
or if I just like looking at all those
pretty jars lining the shelf.
Honestly!
Maybe it's because I have vivid childhood memories
of my own mother
in the kitchen
over a steaming canner
'putting up'
food from our backyard garden.
Or, maybe it's the memories of her mother,
my
grandmother,
Zella,
going down into the cold cellar
with jars and jars and jars
of goods lining the shelves.
I'm not sure.
But, somehow
it all
left an impression on me.
And, now I find myself in my own kitchen
over a steaming canner
'putting up'
food for the winter.
And,
I
LOVE
it!
Everything about it~
Glass jars, slipping tomato skins,
the smell of pots on the stove...
and,
of course,
all the pretty jars that line my shelves.
So
worth it!
(And, my sweet daughter, is learning, too)
| I found this WONDERFUL sweet pickle relish this year from Ashley English's book on canning~ |
| There's some chopping...but it went together so fast. And, no corn syrup in it like the jars in the store~ |
| The recipe said it would make 6 jars, but it made 7 for me, plus a 1/2 pint in the refrigerator to use now. If there's any left. It is so good, I can't stop 'tasting' it~ |
| I just love those pretty jars~ If you haven't tried canning, give it a try. A simple jam is a good place to start~ |
1 comment:
This is a great post which I missed earlier! I love how you share your heart along side the information!! Bless you, dear sister!! "And do not grow weary in well-doing for in due season you shall reap..." Gal. 6:9
Post a Comment