Friday, September 23, 2011

Home Dairy~

I just love anything homemade!
And,
home dairy products are living up 
to my expectations.
Yum~
And, for the most part,
easy.
Time consuming?
Yes.
But, so worth it!
After having our dairy goats for ten weeks now,
I'm finally getting into a rhythm, if you will, of
what to do with the milk.
Of course, drinking it is always good :)
But, there's extra at our house.
So, I started out replacing what I had been doing with cow's milk,
with goat's milk.
First, simple dairy culturing, like yogurt.
Seriously, ANYBODY can make homemade yogurt!
If really is THAT easy~
Then kefir, sour cream, and buttermilk.
I found a great online eclass for cultured dairy that 
I really can't recommend enough.
If anyone is interested, 
check out:

http://gnowfglins.com/ecourse/classes/cultured-dairy-cheese

I'm certainly not making 'perfect' cheeses, but have been happy with
our homemade goat cheese, mozzarella, and ricotta.
All relatively easy using cultures & rennet.

This past week I found a series of books at the library 
that I've heard a lot about.
I took two of them home to browse through~
 And,
found this recipe~
And, 
made it.
Queso Blanco
(a Mexican-type cheese)
I was pleased with how it turned out,
the flavor, the ease of making it,
and that you can make it, drain it,
and eat it the same day~
My kind of recipe!

2 comments:

Jacqueline at Deeprootsathome.com said...

I am almost jealous...well, take that rightly :) Not jealous in an evil sense, but wishing we could get a quantity of milk to do that, too. I am excited b/c we have friends who will be starting a goat share about 25 minutes from here. Will you give me counsel when we get the milk to try it?? I can't wait :)
BTW, How are you doing now on the 2 things you shared??? Been praying, friend :)

Jennifer said...

Jackie~
My infection and my eye is better. I think the 'scratches' are healing well. I've started on the probiotic and hope to build all that 'good' flora back!
Congratulations about joining a goat share~
It will be an adventure. I'll help you, if I can :)

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....