We love apples around here,
and,
we eat a lot of them~
fresh, sauteed in butter & cinnamon,
in pies, in German pancakes, in muffins,
in apple sauce, in apple crisp...
You name it!
So now that apples are a good price,
we are preserving them in more ways than one~
Since apples are sprayed with a lot of pesticides,
we get organic ones through Azure Standard.
(By the way they are now starting a midwest route!)
I can get a 20lb. organic box for about $18.00-$20.00
depending on the variety...
That's a good deal!
I usually save some out just for eating
and then 'preserve' the rest.
Olivia & I filled the dehydrator with 8 trays
and then went on using the peeler, slicer, corer tool
(a MUST have if you are doing a lot of apples),
to make packages of 6 cups for the freezer.
These we'll use for apple pie.
We had a handful of extras and the crisper
was full, so we went ahead and made
a fresh batch of apple sauce.
We just set the slices in a pot, added a small
amount of water, and cooked them tender.
No need for sugar-apples are naturally sweet.
Then, using a stick blender, we blended
it all up nice and smooth~


3 comments:
Jennifer, how do you get those you put into the dehydrator to not turn brown. Do you use the ascorbic acid/citric acid dip or make your own w/ just powdered Vit C (ascorbic acid)? I don't like the idea of brown apple chips. Thanks.
When we dehydrate, we haven't used any 'dips', but I've heard ascorbic acid works well. I turn the dehydrator 'on' as soon as our first tray is ready and then we keep on adding them. When finished, they are a little brown, but still don't look too bad. The bagged ones you saw in the post went right into the freezer (raw) for pies :)
I did it, Jennifer! We dehydrated our first batch this year. In the past I just used lemon juice, but the ascorbic acid alone does very well! thanks for encouraging and inspiring me :) Hope all's well there.
Post a Comment