...of preserving food.
While everyone else is getting ready for school
(okay, I think we are, too),
my mind is on preserving~
Drying, freezing, and canning
the
harvest.
This past week I ordered 36 pounds of Bing Cherries.
I got a great deal through Azure Standard,
and since the sweet cherry crop here in Utah
didn't do well and prices were WAY UP,
this was my best option.
So,
it
begins~
| We began with bowlfuls~ |
| Stemming and sorting through any 'bad' ones-which the chickens were delighted to eat :) |
![]() |
| Olivia is such a great helper and without her it would of take me alone a LONG time~ |
![]() |
| It's nice to work alongside someone with a smile~ |
| We set a towel over the counter because cherry juice goes EVERYWHERE, and pitted and sliced the cherries in half for drying. |
| Thankfully our dehydrator fills 8 trays so we only had to do 2 drying cycles. |
| And, of course we had to do a little taste testing~ |
| They don't look as 'pretty' here as they begin to dry but they sure taste GOOD~ |
| And, of course there's stained hands at the end of it all~ I think I remember reading that lemon juice will remove it~ |
Besides eating a TON of them fresh,
we mostly dried our cherries this year.
I still have 3 bags of frozen and 3 jars of canned
from last year.
For our family, we found that we love them dried,
as a snack,
in granola,
in granola bars,
in trail mix...
Here's to two gallons of dried cherries!




4 comments:
Dear Jennifer, What a lovely thought in my mind of you in your cozy kitchen 'puttin' up' wonderful goodies for the winter. Reminds me of the 'Go To the Ant' Proverb (6:6) "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!" Funny you should mention chokecherry in your comment; we just put a big pan of them in the sink to wash :)
Jennifer, Olivia looks like such a willing helper...you BOTH are so blessed. She will be well equipped with you as her Mum!
Blessings to you!
Oh YUM!
So is it OK to put more than one layer of fruit slices in a dehydrator? I'm doing apples today, and read online that the fruit shouldn't be touching - that would take FOREVER! Ideas? And thanks for the inspiration! At 11PM the other night, I remembered that my neighbors have two cherry trees that they let us pick - but then let the rest of the fruit ROT! We're SO dehydrating next year!
Carole~
Thanks for commenting!
I would only put one layer on your dehydrator trays.
It's a more thorough dry time and they won't 'stick' together. It may take a few batches.
My fruit 'touches' because as it dries, it shrinks A LOT.
Apple slices are WONDERFUL dehydrated :)
Post a Comment