Saturday, August 20, 2011

Garden Update~

I'm posting this garden update 
mainly for my dad.
As I mentioned before,
he's the one who taught me how to garden
and the one I followed around
for years
making rows and plopping down seeds...
It's been hard,
because of the amount of wind here
to figure a way for plants not to 
be blown away or be crushed in
this environment.
No kidding!
The wind here is fierce.
So, although they don't 'look' beautiful,
my little raised beds 
are actually producing
and I couldn't be more thrilled.
I've made lots of notes of what's worked
and
what hasn't.
I'm even planning for next year...
but for now,
BRING ON THE CHERRY TOMATOES~
There are just tons of little tomatoes in here,
just barely starting to turn, with more
blooms abounding~




Here's one that's ripening up quick.
The temperatures have been in the 80's this
week, with another warm week ahead of us.
Happy tomatoes!
This little strawberry plant was given to me
by a friend, way back in May.  It's done well
since being transplanted and will hopefully keep
spreading and produce next year.

This little lone rhubarb was an 'experiment' of sorts.
The lady we got our goats from had given me an
armful of rhubarb and one stalk had quite a bit of 'roots' on
it.  I can still hear her now, "Jennifer, I bet you could
put that in the ground and it would grow."
And, you know what?
It did.
If there's one thing that grows anywhere, it's
lettuce.  We've harvested most of it, but I'm
thinking of putting in more for a fall garden.
So, what hasn't worked?
Apparently I had a nitrogen overload and my
broccoli & cauliflower never produced heads.
Now, mind you, I had leaves!
Big, beautiful leaves...
that the goats ate :)
I don't know why, but peas didn't thrive either.
And, for some reason, carrots, which should have
done well, were VERY small.  Sigh!
So, the repeats for next year...
Cherry tomatoes
DEFINITELY!
Sunflowers, lettuce (more varieties), radishes, beets, zucchini,
peppers, carrots (I'm still going to try), strawberries,
and more herbs.
I hope to do more, but I'll have to build more 'beds'!
Did I mention that a friend has raspberry starts for me?

No comments:

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....