Since this was our first time ever
to process an elk,
we had a lot to learn!
I think the bucks are a little easier,
and definitely quicker.
Just getting an elk carcass up to the house, skinned, quartered,
and
on the table
was a feat!
We are able to really save, though,
by processing the meat ourselves.
So,
we bagan~
| My husband did a great job cutting meat off the bone~ |
| Daniel cutting up strips for fajitas~ |
| Jonathan trimming off a roast cut~ |
| We could not process without this great grinder attachment to my Bosch machine. I love it! Next year I'm saving up for the sausage attachment~ |
| Works like a gem~ |
![]() |
| Olivia isn't pictured here-she's always taking most of the pictures :) But her job was to grind and weigh out the meat~ |
Voila~
The elk was about 130 lbs. total meat~
What a blessing to pack in our freezer!
We mainly cut steaks, roasts, stew & fajita meat,
and did some ground.
For the two bucks the boys got with their
tags we made breakfast & Italian sausage
with more ground.
We found these recipes that are definitely keepers!
Very good ~
So, if you're looking for a good, healthy sausage recipe:
Breakfast Sausage
http://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-breakfast-sausage-patties/
Italian Sausage
http://www.free-venison-recipes.com/mild-deer-italian-sausage.html
Note:
For the breakfast sausage, because we were using venison, I did at least
1/2 venison, to 1/2 pork shoulder/fat. We think the molasses is KEY for this one.
For both the recipes,
I added a little more spices than the amounts given, so that the flavor was full~
For the Italian I added some red pepper flakes, and an Italian
seasoning I had along with the given spices.
The elk was about 130 lbs. total meat~
What a blessing to pack in our freezer!
We mainly cut steaks, roasts, stew & fajita meat,
and did some ground.
For the two bucks the boys got with their
tags we made breakfast & Italian sausage
with more ground.
We found these recipes that are definitely keepers!
Very good ~
So, if you're looking for a good, healthy sausage recipe:
Breakfast Sausage
http://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-breakfast-sausage-patties/
Italian Sausage
http://www.free-venison-recipes.com/mild-deer-italian-sausage.html
Note:
For the breakfast sausage, because we were using venison, I did at least
1/2 venison, to 1/2 pork shoulder/fat. We think the molasses is KEY for this one.
For both the recipes,
I added a little more spices than the amounts given, so that the flavor was full~
For the Italian I added some red pepper flakes, and an Italian
seasoning I had along with the given spices.

No comments:
Post a Comment