I really don't know the name for these.
I guess I can pick my own name
since I made them.
Let me explain~
For quite awhile I've struggled with using my
cast-iron skillets.
For one thing,
I'd get burned.
You see, I just couldn't get my big 'ol hot pad
to fit around the handle and stay there.
Somehow it'd move, or I'd forget and grab the handle-OUCH!
So,
I came up with a plan.
And, guess what?
It works.
In fact, it works like a charm~
(I'm not sure what that saying exactly means, but it sounded good here)
I found a way to make them double thick
and
to 'seal' off the ends.
You have to seal off the end so it doesn't
slide up the handle
and
you,
well~
get burned.
So, if you have iron skillets, and if you knit or crochet,
go ahead and make some!
And, if you can't knit or crochet...
well,
let me know and maybe I could make you one, or two, or three :)
2 comments:
Jennifer, my daughter loves to knit, but does not crochet. Is there a guide to making these? It is a very good idea since I have the same problem with my cast iron.
There isn't a guide or pattern-I kind of 'made-it-up' out of necessity.
But, if your daughter knits double the length of how much you want the handle covered along the bottom, and then goes 'up' the height that will wrap around the handle, yet be snug...
After that you will have a narrow long rectangle. Can you picture that?
Next, what I did was fold that rectangle from the bottom up-not side to side. I crocheted that long side at the top closed. Then, it is like a tube. I brought half of that rectangle through the tube to make it half the size. Both ends will be open at this point, but you should be able to see you 'handle' take shape. Then I just closed the one end so it doesn't slip down the handle. Voila!
These 'directions' may be totally difficult to understand, but it's my best attempt. :)
Post a Comment