Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beekeeping and other practices~

Beekeeping
is something we'd really like to start sometime
this year, if possible.
Slowly we've been making steps on our
little homestead towards more sustainable living
and we're loving it!
However, at times it seems like there are SO many
projects and things to do...
but, when I sit down and list out all the progress
we've made so far~
I'm encouraged!
One step at a time, right?
So,
here's our list of some things we've begun:

~hunting, processing and freezing our own venison

~preserving the harvest by freezing, drying, & canning
(I recently took inventory and we're doing well, but need to keep 'eating
thing's up')

~ making homemade yogurt

~making butter (we've just learned this through the cultured dairy ecourse I've been taking, but we REALLY need a milking animal to do it regularly!)

~making soft cheese

~making kefir

~making our own stock/broth (this is a great frugal practice!)

~soaking grains (still getting the hang of this with our
gluten free flours)

~sprouting seeds

~composting

~raising chickens & selling eggs

~recycling

~sewing, crocheting, and knitting more handmade items

~using glass jars for pantry storage

~making homemade granola and granola bars (buying less processed food and eating more 'whole' foods)

and the list goes on, of course, because it's a journey~

And what's still ahead:

~get a milking goat or a mini jersey cow

~set up fencing and buy a horse (I have 2 kids that are earnestly
working towards this goal!)

~have a coop area to raise some broilers for our family

~build a small greenhouse to accommodate our short growing season

~grow vegetables and plant some berry bushes

~and, of course, begin beekeeping for honey :)

I've already read, Beekeeping for Dummies,
and 
The Barefoot Beekeeper, 
but
just saw a post about this book~
~on Homestead Revival
A great, informative, and helpful blog I enjoy.
It has encouraged and blessed me 
on our homestead journey.

Plus there's a great giveaway for the above book!

No comments:

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....