About four days ago now
we noticed that one of our Leghorns was missing.
We hadn't counted the girls recently
and were wondering how long she had been gone for.
A couple days at least, maybe a week?
We assumed that it was either a coyote or fox~
both of which are in close proximity.
Then, we saw, perched on a post
a good-sized owl checking out the girls.
Ah ha, the culprit was discovered!
(or so we thought)
Then, today, when we were picking up garbage around the yard,
Daniel said,
"Mom, there are three Leghorns in the pen."
I said,
"No way, are you sure?"
Of course I went to look for myself, having resolved
a few days ago now that our sweet little hen was dead.
What do I find?
Three Leghorns in the pen.
(We have 30 hens, but only 3 Leghorns)
Wait, now, it's not the end of the story yet!
A few minutes later
Olivia says, "Mom, the Leghorn is gone."
"What?" I say.
"How could she be gone, she was just here!"
And then, in that way that impressions happen,
I realize~
Our sweet hen wasn't captured by an owl,
oh, no~
she's been in hiding,
coming back to get a sip of water and a little food
and then,
hiding,
yep, hiding,
and
sitting on eggs.
Of course, why didn't I think of that before!
She wasn't very happy when we moved her
and discovered all of these!
No, she wasn't happy at all and tried
to get back on her 'nest.'
Of course, we couldn't let her stay there.
The temps are dropping drastically over the
next couple days;
and,
snow is predicted.
Where was she?
She was under our snowmobile sled
and had about 19 eggs under her
and another 5 next to her.
There were some brown ones too, so one of her 'sisters'
must have come by to keep her company for awhile.
My, oh my!
What have I learned~
NEVER, EVER, assume!
4 comments:
Too funny, she was hiding her stash of eggs. Now you know you gotta get a pic of that Owl scoping out the territory.
I'll try to shoot a photo, just for you, JD, of that owl. But personally I'd rather shoot him with a gun~
Just to be sure he doesn't carry one of my 'girls' or our kitties away!
We have both screech and the great horned here. Last fall they perched right outside Olivia's window~
That is a great story!! BTW next time we see you we'll take some more eggs.
That is great! Give a girl some privacy already:) Glad she is home safe and sound. I will probably be enjoying some of those eggs she was "hiding" later today...Thank you Lucy!!!
Post a Comment