Friday, June 28, 2013

The Greenhouse~

The greenhouse is doing amazing
and
I'm so pleased with how the vegetables
have taken off.
We keep a thermometer in there to monitor the temperature,
and
adjust the sides...for ventilation,
depending on the temp.

The highest so far has been 106 degrees~TODAY
(we're in a heat wave!)

But normally it's been averaging between 80-90 degrees.


Of course, the heat loving plants
 like tomatoes, peppers and basil
are VERY happy~


It's not done yet, we have to put the barn wood around the bottom,
and then finish the front door and the window 'coverings/hatches' on the
sides~but it's a'coming :)
This is where the window 'coverings/hatches' go.
They will hopefully be hinged at the bottom and then
open out at the top...for ventilation, but still protect from the wind.

We set it up like a cross,
with 4,
 5 x5 beds in each corner.
 I like how Jonathan built them
double high.
Saves on my back!
Another view of the inside~

Lots of tomatoes and peppers of all kinds~

More of the same on this side~
Garden decor~
in the herb section.
Very happy heat loving basil~
All the plants were started from seeds and then transplanted.

Side view of the screened 'windows'~

I would like to plant some cold crop vegetables come fall.  I'll have
to wait and see how everything goes.
The tomatoes are really taking off and I need to figure out how
to run string or something for them to climb up...
They're the indeterminate, vine-type of tomatoes.
And,
I still have 2, 4x8 beds to put hardware cloth on and
fill with the dirt that's piled up and ready to go.

I'm thinking I could have an awesome 'fall garden'
if I hop to it.
"If"
I hop to it!

Looking forward to at least harvesting peppers & tomatoes!

No comments:

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....