Thursday, June 23, 2011

Concoctions~

I've always been a little afraid of 'wild' herbs...
Not really sure of them
or exactly how to use them
for medicinal purposes.
In reality I use herbs everyday.
I cook with them all the time.
And, we grow some of them.
But those are the common ones,
you know,
basil, oregano, parsley...

Since moving to our property
I've been venturing out of my comfort zone
into the more 'medicinal' realm.
The first 'wild' thing I did was harvest
chokecherries and can them.
Then a friend took me to gather
'wild' elderberries, which we froze and used all 
winter in a immune-building syrup.

Now, I'm taking another leap~



Massage Oil
You probably need to know that my husband
is a window washer.
He is a very hard worker!
And,
he's getting older.
His poor back and shoulders take a huge load.
So,
I decided that I'd try this new massage oil
(Check out www.bulkherbstore for ingredients)
that you can 'mix' on your own.
It has funky ingredients that you can see above
like,
St. John's Wort, Comfrey, and Arnica.
And, it was as easy as pie to make :)


Then, I saw on another blog,
a post about this herbal bug-spray concoction.
Well,
today mine just got done 'brewing'.
I can't wait to try it out and see if it really does
deter them mosquitos.
So,
three cheers for herbal concoctions!
You know,
down the road I think I've seen nettle
and there's definitely mullein growing here.
What to do?  What to do?

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

OH, Jennifer, you are a dear! Thank you! And making the 'VOT4T' :) I love the idea of the massage oil for your husband. He will treasure you for it!
"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life." Pr. 31: 11-12
It is interesting that you are looking at mullein. I found several beautiful specimens of mullein (for photo shots) and to cut for tincture. It will be an experiment, I think. We are thinking together. Blessings!

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....