Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Beginnings...

...in the garden~
Late last fall we planted this

Garlic~
It's growing well and I figure if I can't get anything
else to grow in this terrain,
there's always garlic :)

We grabbed some wood from a pile on the side of the barn
and began building some raised beds




I started composting last year and the chickens
have done a great job mixing it all up~


Okay, this one isn't 'helping', but she did 'pose' 
for a picture :)

We bought some good, organic top soil
and then mixed in our compost.
I'm still working on these beds...
This bed still needs the hoops put on and the
fencing around it to protect from all the
critters we have~you know, voles, rabbits,
deer...and chickens!

I did have to staple gun 1/4" hardware cloth
to the bottom of each bed as extra protection~
I planted some peas and bean here~
These are seedlings we started inside~
broccoli & cauliflower
Our little hoop house is housing
tomatoes and pepper plants~
Some day I hope to have a fenced-in garden area
and maybe even a greenhouse.
You have to dream...
But for now, we're starting with these 'protected'
raised beds.
It's been a challenge, to say the least, to find
a way to protect young seedlings from
all the wind we get.
If you live in a windy region, you know what I mean.
But,
I'm not giving up!
I'm taking notes and we'll see how things grow~
Plus,
there's always container gardening :)


No comments:

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....