Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strawberry Picking~



Since we don't have our greenhouse built yet, I decided that this year we'd do a lot of the U-pick Farm fruits and vegetables to freeze and can...
Our first venture was strawberry picking. Since Daniel was still gone on his backpacking trip and Dave working, that left Jonathan, Olivia, and myself. But that didn't hold us back! It took about two hours for the three of us to pick 4 large flats of heaping strawberries. What fun :)
We rinsed, hulled, and then froze the berries on trays-actually I ran out of trays and had to use whatever I could find. Next, we used our wonderful Seal-a-Meal that we got last year to 'seal up' all the venison, to vacuum-pack the strawberries. Done!
Can't wait for the green beans, and the tomatoes, and the corn, and the raspberries, and the blackberries, and the...

2 comments:

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

You sounds like me...putting away a lot of food this year! Thanks for visiting my blog and for letting me know you're there...welcome! Come again anytime.

Katie said...

YUMMO!!! We used to pick Strawberries all summer in Florida. I really miss it! I like how you took a pic of the rule sign :) So someone besides me does read the rule signs!! LOL :)

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....