Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Green things~

This year the greenhouse garden was started a little later than normal.
I always wonder when I plant those tiny seeds if everything will come up.
It did.
Thankfully, all is well and growing!
It's very...green in there.
I have found over the past few years what grows well here in this climate
and what does not.
This year we have a little bit of everything that grows well:
lettuce, kale, spinach, arugula, endive, parsley, oregano, cilantro, chives, basil, thyme, peas, green beans, beets, carrots, onions, peppers, cucumbers, and tomato.
Lots of variety and just enough for what we need.
There won't be much extra to 'put up'~
maybe in the basil and tomato department;
but,
that's okay.
For now we are enjoying fresh & green :)
This year we put up shade cloth on the side where the 'cold crop'
vegetables are.  It helped tremendously from the heat and sun
exposure.

Also, this year, more than in the past, we've also been doing
'succession planting'.
In this bed I pulled all the arugula, when it was done, and replanted
more lettuce and kale.  We've done that in three other beds and
it's working well.
It usually gets too hot for lettuce, but with the shade cloth, this
year it is thriving even in the heat.





Green!

No comments:

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....