Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bees~

The countdown has begun~
The bees,
two packages of 10,000-12,000 each
arrive
on
April 27th!

The equipment has arrived,

The medium supers, top & bottom boards, jackets w/veil
smoker, feeders, hive tools, and gloves.
I hope that's all we need!

The front view of the hive with a top board
(where the feeder will go on in spring & fall)
The bottom boards are just leaning against it for now.

but spring weather isn't cooperating.


The checklist before arrival day is~

1.  paint the supers with oil-based primer and white paint
2.  build two stands about 2 1/2 feet high 
3.  sink t-posts and make a fenced area for the hives
(we're on greenbelt and need protection from the cows... 
knocking them over)
4.  find straw bales to stack on three sides for wind break

I'm still reading to fine tune what I've been learning in the once-a-month
local beekeeping class I've been attending.
Thankfully the local beekeeper will help us place our bees and
do our first hive inspections.

These blog sites that have been a great resource, too.
Beverly Bees~
Tilly's Nest~
Homestead Revival~

So, while the snow melts (again) you'll find me sitting on the couch
reading~



1 comment:

God's Grace Overflows said...

It looks like you are going to be busy this Spring once this weather cooperates! Have you always wanted to work with bees? My hubby did for years and he was having great success with them, until the drought here in Colorado hit 3 years ago and then all the bees either moved on to greener pastures or they passed on. We would love to do bees again, but until this ol' land gets much more needed moisture, I dont see it happening. I wish you the best of luck and once you start producing- my oh my the honey is yummy!
Take care and many blessings,
Amy

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....