What are they?
"Pasties have probably been made in England since the 13th century. Originally they were eaten by the wealthy upper classes and even royalty.
They came with various fillings including venison, beef, lamb, and seafood.
They were further flavoured with rich gravies and sometimes dried fruits.
Around the 18th or 19th centuries the cornish pasty came into existance.
With the development of tin and copper mining in Cornwall, the miners who worked
long hours in terrible conditions, needed a nutritious yet portable meal to last them through the day.
The traditional cornish pasty contained beef mixed with potatoes, onion, and turnip.
Pasties could even have a savory end and a sweet end, rather like a two-course meal.
The paste was filling and easy to carry.
The crimp or crust made it easy to hold."
And, boy are they good!
I came across this gluten free recipe and had to give it a try~
(They will work just as great with wheat flour...)
(I will add that I did not add the additional 1 c. water for the dough,
instead I added about half of that to the filling mix and 'cooked'
the potatoes some with the meat and let cool.
The dough rolled out 'amazingly' for a gluten free crust,
so I think I'll do the same next time)
Now that we've tried the 'savory' ones~
I think I'll attempt the 'sweet'.
These are sooooo good~
I'm thinking of making some ahead and freezing
for the hubby and kids to grab for lunches, outings...
The only part that takes a little time is the
rolling out; but I personally, enjoy it.
Try something new~
The Cornish Pasty
2 comments:
These look so yummy. They remind me of a calzone. I love being able to put any type of food into a pocket of dough and watch it transform into an entire meal.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I'm still wanting to try cooking a pizza crust in my dutch oven!
Have a blessed week.
Amy
Thanks so much for trying my recipe! I'm glad that you enjoyed them - they've become a staple in our freezer. I think the water issue does have something to do with altitude and humidity too.
Post a Comment