Saturday, September 7, 2013

It's that time of year again~

I 'said' I wasn't going to can, freeze, or dry
anything this year.
Don't get me wrong,
I L.O.V.E. putting up food,
but with school starting and outdoor projects
needing to be done before the first snow~
it felt like too much to take on right now.

However,
a trip to the Farmer's Market
cured me!

Of course, I need to put up something
even if it's just a little.

And, this time, I came home with an excess of green beans~

After snapping and cleaning
a quick 3-minute blanch in hot water~

And then a 3-minute plunge into cold water~
 
Laid out on paper towel to dry~

Bagged, labeled, and dated~

It's too simple not to :)

I think I might bring home corn next week...

3 comments:

God's Grace Overflows said...

Hey there!
I always tell my self that I won't put stuff up for the year too and then well.... I end up canning, freezing and dehydrating all kinds of stuff. I made homemade salsa on Friday and got that canned. I really want to try homemade spaghetti sauce to can, but am waiting on the tomatoes in the greenhouse to produce enough worth my while. But, in the meantime, homeschooling keeps me plenty busy and like you said the outside chores too! I hope you have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Amy

Jacqueline@ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Hi, Jennifer!
I have stopped in occasionally to keep up with your goings on, but felt I needed to leave a comment! I hope you are well...it sure looks like it and the children are growing up!!
I didn't grow lots of green beans this year, but I did grow a pencil thin 'Nickle bean' (bush type) and hope to save them for seed and maybe one pot for dinner! Glad to see you doing bees, too!
God bless you all :)

Jennifer said...

Jacqueline~So good to hear from you again :)
I've been keeping up with your blog, too, and am always encouraged by your posts! Thanks for stopping by~

A change of seasons~

Where we live, in our mountain home, the seasons are changing.  Already we have had snow dust the mountains more than once this fall....