Is not that easy during the winter
in Utah~
Granted, we did preserve some of the harvest
by drying, freezing, and canning last year.
And, it has helped
TREMENDOUSLY
with the grocery bill!
Eating healthy has been
and still is
a journey for our family.
We are growing and learning~
One of the things I've been learning after reading the book,
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
by Barbara Kingsolver,
is the importance of eating food as locally as you can
and
in season.
A challenge in winter, to be sure.
We shop between our local Whole Foods Market,
and Smiths (which seldom has much local produce).
I've also ordered from Azure Standard in Oregon
and have been pleased with prices and the
abundance of gluten free and whole food products they carry.
But,
still,
we lacked more fresh, organic produce
at a good price...
(has anyone else noticed food prices rising?)
Thankfully, we recently came across
Bountiful Baskets
www.bountifulbaskets.org
Every other week we order an organic 'basket'
that is solely fresh fruit and vegetables.
And, it's great!
For $25.00 this is what we get~
One bag of lettuce, one bag of potatoes, one bag of
onions, one head of cauliflower, one bunch of spinach,
three roma tomatoes
three pears, three grapefruits five or six oranges
and about the same in apples, and a handful of kiwis.
Did I mention that every week is different?
I love not knowing what's coming, but that it will
be a good selection of color, variety, and fresh, local (for the west)
produce!
This week I also did an 'add-on' for my hubbie~
This was $7.00
and called the Mexican add-on.
I think there's some tomatillo salsa coming up
this weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment